VISTA AmeriCorps positions available
Habitat for Humanity Inland Valley has built and repaired homes throughout Southwest Riverside County, CA for over 25 years. Our volunteers and AmeriCorps members have played an essential role in the housing of 33 families and repair of over 200 homes to advance our mission to eliminate substandard housing in our region. Now is an exciting time to join our affiliate. We are currently building two homes and have more building projects on the horizon. Our home repair program is extremely active and growing rapidly. Your presence will allow us to increase our services and address the increasing needs of our community. Together, we will serve more seniors, veterans, and families affected by poverty and help them to access a better, healthier and more financially stable life. You will gain practical experience in the construction field and make a positive and lasting impact on a community with a growing and exceptional need for decent and affordable housing.
Volunteer Services Development
As a Volunteer Services Development VISTA, you will review our affiliate's current practices, develop an improved program of volunteer recruitment, tracking, scheduling, and recognition, implement that program, and ensure that the program is supported beyond your AmeriCorps term. This formalized volunteer program will positively impact the overall volunteer experience.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver's license
• Personal vehicle
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Strong technology skills, including experience with common social media platforms
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including experience with presentations and public speaking
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Project management experience
Benefits of Service:
• For more information about these benefits (excluding MAP), please visit the VISTA Campus.
• AmeriCorps VISTA living allowance of $12,828 (paid over the 1 year of full-time service) – determined by geographic area
• Segal Education Award of $5,815 (lifetime maximum of 2) OR end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500 – both are dependent on successful completion of service
• Healthcare Allowance – a reimbursement program that covers some out-of-pocket, non-premium costs, up to $7,150, associated with healthcare. Please note: this is not a healthcare insurance plan; if you do not have healthcare coverage, you have 60 days from your service start date to sign-up for healthcare coverage through the Marketplace.
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• Relocation Travel Allowance up to $1,000 & Settling In Allowance of $550 (if eligible)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• 10 personal and 10 sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status – upon successfully completing service, you will receive one year of NCE for employment in the federal government. Please note: this does not guarantee you a federal job.
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will have helped us develop a formalized volunteer program that will positively impact the overall volunteer experience, and therefore generate more volunteers. As a result of this increased number of volunteers, you will have made it possible for us to repair and/or maintain 106 homes, house one family, and complete three Neighborhood Revitalization (NR) projects.
What’s needed to apply?
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve) – input in “Cover Letter” section
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds an opportunity to meet critical community needs. At Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles (Habitat LA), AmeriCorps members play an essential role in transforming the lives of the families and individuals we serve. AmeriCorps members are selected from across the nation to commit to one year of service. Our program allows members to serve their community, learn new things, make new friends and have fun!