AmeriCorps positions available
Habitat for Humanity Inland Valley has built and repaired homes throughout Southwest Riverside County, CA for over 25 years. Our volunteers and AmeriCorps members have played an essential role in the housing of 33 families and the repair of over 200 homes to advance our mission to eliminate substandard housing in our region. Now is an exciting time to join our affiliate. We have just complete building two homes and have more building projects and rehabilitation projects on the horizon. Our home repair program is extremely active and growing rapidly. Your presence will allow us to increase our services and address the increasing needs of our community. Together, we will serve more seniors, veterans, and families affected by poverty and help them to access a better, healthier and more financially stable life. You will gain practical experience in the construction field and make a positive and lasting impact on a community with a growing and exceptional need for decent and affordable housing.
Two Positions Now Available:
1.) Volunteer Services Coordinator
As a Volunteer Services Coordinator, you will be on the front lines of service working with the volunteers at our affiliate. This might include assisting with on-site orientations, volunteer tracking, growing the volunteer department, and maintaining connection with volunteers though a monthly eNewsletter or other new initiatives at our affiliate. This will include working with volunteers for Home Preservation and Construction build days, special events, Restore and office assistance. Also, you will oversee and advance our partnerships with our high school chapters/groups, as well as develop other youth programs in order to expand youth volunteer involvement and create ambassadors for Habitat for Humanity now and in the future. Volunteers are critical to the weekly operation of our affiliate and we need someone like you to be the helping hand and voice to our volunteers.
2.) Construction Crew Leader
The AmeriCorps member serving in this role will be part of the Home Preservation team, and will give the necessary boost to increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through our Critical Home Repair (CHR), A Brush With Kindness (ABWK), and Home Rehabilitation projects. With the assistance of the AmeriCorps member serving in this role, we anticipate completing 2 CHRs, and 75 ABWK projects. One rehab home is planned during the service term, which will result in a total of 78 families served. We also anticipate at least 2 Neighborhood Revitalization (NR) community events to occur which will utilize members to spread the word about our NR programs and encourage community members to get involved as volunteers on our work sites or to apply to be family partners. A secondary goal of this position is to have at least 1 volunteer trained to be a skilled volunteer group leader in our ABWK Program. We view the construction crew leader as integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver's license
• Personal vehicle
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Strong technology skills, including experience with common social media platforms
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including experience with presentations and public speaking
• A second language is highly desirable, with preferred languages being Spanish
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Detail oriented and highly organized
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Public speaking experience
• Project management experience
Benefits of Service:
• AmeriCorps National living allowance of $13,732 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• Segal Education Award of $5,920 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Affordable Care Act compliant health care plan (Habitat pays the monthly premiums)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will recruit and/or manage 250 volunteers in the building, rehabilitation, repair of homes and ReStore. Your efforts will prove critical in the completion of 78 new builds and home preservation projects in support of 100 individuals, including 10 whom are veterans, active military, or their family members. You will also be instrumental in advancing partnerships with high school chapters and other youth programs. Additionally, you will gain enhanced skills in communication, leadership, delegation, team-building time & project management construction and safety.
What’s needed to apply?
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve) – input in “Cover Letter” section
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds an opportunity to meet critical community needs. At Habitat for Humanity Inland Valley, AmeriCorps members play an essential role in transforming the lives of the families and individuals we serve. AmeriCorps members are selected from across the nation to commit to one year of service. Our program allows members to serve their community, learn new things, make new friends and have fun!