Why Neighborhood Revitalization?
The housing need in the United States is significant—and growing. According to The State of the Nation’s Housing 2010 (JCHS), roughly one in six Americans is in need of a decent, affordable place to live.
Our nationwide economic crisis is creating financial difficulties for entire communities. They face not only foreclosures, abandonment and home-maintenance issues, but also the variety of problems that surface as a result. In short, families and communities are suffering.
Habitat for Humanity Inland Valley has an important role in local neighborhood revitalization efforts. We know the needs of our community and the transformative effect safe, decent housing can have on a family.
Just one decent home in a blighted neighborhood, while a good start, is not the only help the community needs.
Habitat Inland Valley’s goal is to work towards transforming entire neighborhoods using a holistic approach. We are joining forces with residents, other nonprofits, businesses, local governments and communities of faith to create and implement a shared vision of revitalization. Each project will tailor the work being done to meet the specific needs of each neighborhood.
A wide array of housing services can be tapped to help transform communities in need, such as:
- New, energy-efficient house construction.
- Rehabilitation of vacant and foreclosed properties.
- House repairs for existing low-income homeowners, through A Brush with Kindness and Critical Home Repairs.
- Weatherization to make existing houses more energy efficient and affordable.
Habitat for Humanity is just one part of a community wide solution.
Collaboration with other local groups is an essential ingredient of the Neighborhood Revitalization. This includes:
- Working with residents and other significant stakeholders in the community to develop a common plan of recovery and vision for the future.
- Forging both formal and informal partnerships and alliances at the local level.
- Joining or forming community coalitions.
- Rallying active neighborhood support.
- Advocating public policy for local housing initiatives.
Together, Habitat for Humanity, neighborhood residents and local partners can change the face of neighborhoods and the lives of the families who live there—forever.
Hear about one of our past projects: